Thursday, September 27, 2007

A plot unfolds

Arm in arm, Venessa and Sarah marched up the redwood stair case, giggling at how much fun it would be to slide down the great wooden banisters. The girls entered the far left room. The room housed four wooden tables with four matching benches, able to seat three persons. There was one other wooden table of good size to the front of the room laden with, what looked like, twenty books. To the left of the room, when looking straight on from the door way, there were three small windows, curtains pulled back to let in the crisp morning air. To the right of the room were massive book shelves, liken to the ones downstairs in the library, full of texts, maps, papers and writing utensils. It was very imposing, and made the Venessa's heart beat just a little faster at all they must have to learn. Master Wheeler had not yet made his entrance, and so the princess looked around for an open space to sit. No two spaces were open it seemed, and Sarah having seen a friend, quickly took her leave of the Princess to join her. Venessa stood still for a moment, when a dark haired youth turned around. “Princess,” he said with an elated smile as he rose from his seat. “It has been too long since I have beheld your face,” he quipped as he grabbed her hands and gave a slight bow. By then everyone had turned to see and the Princess was welcomed with familiar faces, smiles and well wishes. Venessa smiled at John, “Your fault, I think, not mine,” she said with a good natured smile. “Where have you been? I had heard you left for the mountains. What business could you have had there? Off fighting dragons, I suppose.” John laughed, “Nothing so difficult as that, I was merely seeing how high I could climb.” “Your serious.” “Absolutely, I am...it is great sport, though dangerous enough. I stayed in the village at the foot of the mountain, and met...” Just then Master Wheeler made his entrance. He was a round sort of man, dressed in a black robe. He was bald with the exception of graying hair on the sides of his head, reminding Venessa of what the monks must have looked like had they still been living in the monastery. He made no grand speech with his entrance, but made his way very quickly and directly to his desk. He sat down and through his spectacles, began making ready the lessons he had for the day. John squeezed Venessa's hand, and whispered, “I will tell you about it later,” and then took his seat again. The Princess quickly glanced around the room and took the first available place next to a young man she had never been acquainted with. In fact, he was the only pupil in the room she had never been acquainted with. She stole a glance at him. He was thin, not too tall from what she could tell...perhaps 5'9''. He had medium brown hair, a little too long and tussled about making him look as though he had just woken up from bed. His clothing was definitely that of royalty, but were almost vintage. They were the cut and styles of her fathers' fathers. Perhaps he was poor...coming from a poor kingdom...a poor kingdom who had no seamstress. Venessa suppressed a laugh, and instead glanced at him again. “Hello,” she whispered. “Oh...hello,” he said, as though first noticing she was there. His blue eyes met hers but briefly before resting again on his hands. She noticed his hands trembled slightly as he fidgeted with them...first placing them on the desk, then in his lap, only to place them on the table again. Venessa stared forward, and wondered at this seemingly shy fellow next to her. Where on earth had he come from.

“Good morning, though privileged youth. I trust you have all come, wide awake and eager to learn.” Master Wheeler, it seemed, had come alive with poise and confidence as he opened up his first text, and said, “Today, is a special day, my eager pupils...today we are going to embark on a journey that will take us into the most important book of them all. You are about to learn a language of great importance. You will open up the Holy Scriptures, and read it...not in the present language with which we speak to each other, but in it's original text. Today you are all on your way to becoming proficient in the the Greek language. It is the first step of many to come, and under my tutelage, I suspect you will all go the distance. We will begin with the alphabet.”



“Tell me everything!” Becky urged, as she pulled out a giant sack of potatoes. Venessa pulled up a stool next to her friend and picked up a small pairing knife. Together the girls sat in the large kitchen peeling the skins off... “I would tell you anything you asked, if only I could remember it all. Greek is difficult, but I really do love it. Master Wheeler is a fascinating man! He knows so much that I could just sit and listen to him all day...but then at the end of it, I feel as though I've swallowed so much, that I couldn't began to say what it was I learned. I suppose that defeats the purpose of all of it,” Venessa laughed. Becky smiled, “You've had a summer of balls and fancy parties; you haven't had to remember anything important, as such...your mind just has to get used to what it's learning and then you'll be able to recall all you want. It's just like cooking. I could tell you to fold in the eggs, but if you didn't know what that meant, we'd be in real trouble. It's just stuff you haven't heard before.” “I wish you could be in classes with us...you'd really love it.” “Oh, I know I would, but I'm not unhappy with my life...don't worry about me. Just come and share all you can...when you start remembering what it was you learned,” she said with a laugh. “Is there anything else I can help you with, Becky?” Venessa said wiping her hands on her apron. “No, no, and no...you shouldn't even be in here. Fine place for a princess to be,” she teased. Venessa gave a mock frown, “How else will I learn to cook?” “Am I going somewhere? Do you want my job that badly!,” Becky laughed. “I don't think you have a need for it.” Venessa looked at her friend seriously, “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Who can say for certain that the crown will pass to me...that our kingdom will still be standing in that day...I want to live life because God made me...not because He made me a princess.” “Well said, friend,” Becky said softly. Venessa took off her apron, and kissed her friend, “ I will see you tomorrow then...thank you for today's wonderful lunch.” Foot steps sounded on the stone floor behind the Princess; she turned to see one of the King's most faithful knights standing in the doorway. “Excuse me Princess, but your father is looking for you.” “Thank you Andrew. I'll be on my way then. Where is he?” “I'll accompany you Highness.” With a wave from Becky, Venessa and Andrew exited the door and began down the hallway toward the courtyard. Gravel crunched beneath their feet as he led her past the stables to a private garden where the King was waiting. Andrew was a hansom man, broad and strong from years of carpentry. Though he was a knight, the kingdom had been at peace for so long that the knights had taken up vocational work at the Kings request to work amongst the people they served. He said little, but was one of Venessa's most favorite of persons. He was husband to one of her most cherished childhood friends. “How is Anne?” Andrew blushed with pride, “she's doing well. She's been busy, though. A lot of babies being born. She just caught her 25th last night.” “Wonderful! I love babies, they are so sweet and innocent...completely reliant on you to care for them. ...such a huge responsibility. Speaking of babies...when are you planning on catching your own?” Venessa said with a slight nudge. Andrew was quiet, the Princess wondered if she had offended her friend, and regretted asking such a personal question. She was always talking to much...saying what she shouldn't. They had reached the garden and were in view of the King, who was relaxing on a lawn chair. “I will bid you leave here, My Lady.” “Thank you Andrew.” “You're very welcome...and rest assured there has been much practice...in regard to babies,” he said with a grin. The princess sighed a sigh of relief that he hadn't been angry with her. “Good to hear...give my best to Anne.” “I will.” Andrew left her there at the edge of the lawn. Venessa lifted up the hem of her red dress and trotted her way to where her father was sitting.


-dialog about the king-


“Father, you requested my presence.” The King reached out his hand to that of his daughter, “Please, sit. There are few things I enjoy more then the presence of my only daughter.” Venessa looked at her father affectionately. “Although, I know my company is enough reason for the summons,” she said with a giggle, “was there no other reason you wanted to see me?” The King sighed. “It seems to me that you are far too young to be as adult as you are.” He looked teary eyed, “When did you grow up?” Venessa looked at her lap, so as not to make her father uncomfortable with emotion. “Is this about my getting married? Have you decided on my husband?” Venessa said, almost too afraid to ask. The King saw the look of concern on his daughter's face. “No, my dear, I have none to announce to you, but there are more then a few suiters. We have many relatives vying for their place on the throne, but you are not a bargaining chip. You will hear whispers of many men intended for you; I can not deny that there are those who would gossip about your future despite an obvious lack of fact. I will pick a good man for you and the kingdom. Rest assured daughter,” He laid his hand on hers, “ you will be taken care of. Rest assured of that.” The King's eyes remained clouded for just a moment and then as though the haze had lifted, he slapped his thighs and stood from his seat. “Well, daughter, this is not something you must concern yourself about as yet. No, this is not why I summoned you. Walk with me over to the stables.”

“What is it then?”

“While I will be praying over which of our relatives will win my daughter's hand, there has been another coal added to the fire. King Gerald and Queen Jeanette are without throne, it would seem. A fortnight ago, I received a letter informing me that their city was sacked...burned to the ground. Tumes Water has been left abandoned, including the castle. Those left alive have moved onto to Olpia, the King and Queen with them.” Venessa looked aghast, “How can this be? What? How...Who would do such a thing!?” she stammered.

“I don't know,” the King confessed. The letter was sent in Gerald's own hand...it was short and somewhat of a puzzlement to me. His scribe must have been numbered with those who have fallen. Blast it, man! I never could understand a thing he penned on paper, himself,” the King said with a wry smile and a sideways glance to his daughter. “In truth, Daughter, I believe that his letter was intentionally obscure. There has been peace for so long in this blessed country, that war seems only a far off nightmare I once had in times gone by. Gerald must have feared his letter be intercepted.” Venessa began to feel her stomach tie in knots. Something didn't feel right. Besides the obvious horrific news just laid upon her, why did she feel there was so much more hidden among the shadows. “How can they have no idea who attacked them?...and if they know, how could they keep the matter a secret when it could effect us as well. How shall we know whom to defend ourselves against...or if, or if there is even a threat for which to defend!” She could feel her blood beginning to boil. None of this made any sense...why the secrecy? Was it getting dark. No, in truth, the sun was shining and yet Venessa felt a darkness settling over her. Was she only imaging things now, or did she see her father looking over his shoulder? Was he purposely speaking in low tones or was it just her own voice that had begun to escalate?!

“Venessa.” The King stopped walking and turned to face his daughter. He rested his hands upon her shoulders, his expression gentle, yet firm...or was it pleading? “Their attackers flew no flag. They wore no colors and their shields bore no emblem. The secret is not with Gerald, but with those who sacked Tumes Water. They did not wish to be known.” Venessa's eyes widened. “Why would someone go to such great lengths to hide the identity of an army? What coward would do such a thing?”

“A coward with a rather large army, it would seem. No King would attack using such tricks, that is for certain.” The king let go of his daughter and turned back toward the direction of his lawn chairs. “We are a three days journey from Tumes Water and there is no king within two fortnights from them that has an army so big as the one Gerald described.” The King took a deep breath, “...aaand,” he said with emphasis, “why would the army not stay and take possession of it's newly acquired conquest?” Venessa slowly lowered to her chair, deep in thought. She began talking to herself out loud as though trying to work her way through a maze of thought.

“An army with no name and no king to lead it. It is possible to have an army with no name...perhaps it is without kingdom. But an army of great size can not function without a king to lead...or, yes it could, but not without a leader. A leader who is not a king leading an army without a kingdom. No, that's not right, either. Every large population resides within a kingdom...and any king who would deploy such force would be gentleman enough to ride with proper flag and emblem. ...unless the king did not know that the army was his that fought under no name.” Venessa felt herself getting confused with her own musings. She looked up at her father who was staring intently at her,

“Keep going, Daughter...I have my suspicions, but let us see if you come up with the same.” She put her hands on her head as though nursing a headache and shut her eyes. “I need to start over. ...or no, where was I? No army that great could secretly fight for another, other then the king, without the king knowing ...or noticing that so many were gone from his city. I am back to the beginning! No such might could fight under no name and under someone other then a king and live anywhere close enough to attack and yet not to be heard of. Where could such a people hide? There is no city around with such a military...and besides all of that, there has been no need of large military for as long as peace has reigned in this region. In truth, if other kingdoms have left their armies to dwindle as ours has, it would take three kings to deliver up enough men to number what was accounted for!” The princess sat bolt upright! “A rebellion.” She barely breathed the words as though too horrific a statement to make out loud. “A civil war within each city. An apposing army growing within the walls of three separate kingdoms under the very noses of their kings. Is such a thing possible?” The King took both her hands in his, “I need not worry about leaving my throne to you,” he said with a sad smile, “if there is a throne to be left. ...and that is my concern. Indeed, your thoughts mirror my own, with the exception of number. The army did not make its retreat in one direction, nor three...but four. As I see it, there is a threat already living among us. I had thought my military to be loyal,” he sighed. Venessa felt her body beginning to quake... she thought of Andrew. Could he be numbered among their adversaries? No, not him...never him. Who would she ever know to trust.

“My first action will be to take no immediate action. I do not know that our little theory is correct, though it seems to be the only viable solution at the moment. If it proves true, I will be relying heavily on Sir Kinsly to weed out the loyal from the disloyal among our knights. There is no question of Andrew's faithfulness.” “But what of their leader? How do we find him? Which of the four cities might he dwell if, God forbid, not our very own ______?”

The king looked solemn. “In this lies great discretion of purpose. You are daughter to the king and next in line to the throne. You must move about with discretion and act with all wisdom. I do not hide from you that if what we believe to be true proves to be so, this puts you in mortal danger.” Venessa had been staring at the grass. “You and mother as well,” she stated. It saddened him to put such a look of concern on the face of his only child. “Yes, well then discretion and wisdom to us all.” He smiled slowly and his look became confident. “We have not received a spirit of fear, but ________(quote scripture). Remember that. Those words are as true today as they were when they were spoken. No matter what happens, our citizenship is not of this world, nor this kingdom. You are a daughter of the King first and foremost. ...I am just a stand in,” he added giving her a wink. Venessa smiled for the first time since greeting her father, “I could not have asked for better,” she with meaning. He rose from his seat and embraced her. She felt her fathers robe, soft beneath her cheek. She always felt so safe with him, and she needed that now. Everything seemed to be moving just beneath her feet...and it all seemed so steady and certain but an hour ago, she thought with regret.

When finally he let her go, he smiled a smile that made her think for one small moment that not all she knew to be so would be destroyed around her. “I do have good news as well. Do you remember the prince, Justin.” Venessa furrowed her brow. “Well, you only saw him once as a child, so perhaps you wouldn't, but he is Gerald and Jeanette's son. They have asked us to shelter him here for the time being. He arrived three days ago and has been staying in the castle.” The princess looked startled. “How is it I did not know he was here? He has not joined us for meals, nor have I seen him roaming the court yard.”

“He is now the prince of a sacked city...there is nothing there but dirt and rubble. Does that still make you a prince? I believe it does, but they have gone from wealth (or royalty to obscurity) to poverty overnight. He may not be ready to socialize. I would expect that there is much for him to sort through.”

“Have you spoken with him much? Has he had any more information to offer you concerning what happened?”

“Not much. He is a quiet fellow...honest but subdued (find another word). I would have expected more of a polished sort of man if he were heir to Tumes Water, but given that it is ...or was an honor named for the eldest son, he need not worry about such things. He was able to give me one piece of vital information, but none, that I will discuss here. I prefer you to be innocent on some of the details. It will be safer for you.”

“I will not deny that I am much curious about this secret piece of information, but I will not ask it of you again.” Venessa would just have to find this Justin fellow and wheedle out of him herself.

“Very good then. I have other things I must attend to and you should be getting back to your studies.”

“Yes, Father.” She bent her head forwards as he kissed it and walked back toward the castle. She watched after him until he disappeared inside. Suddenly she felt very aware of her surroundings. With a quick look over her shoulder, she hurried herself back to the castle, anxious for her room and to be alone with her thoughts. Working on her studies were the farthest thing from her mind as her feet crunched their way across the gravel courtyard.


No comments: