Friday, May 23, 2008

Invasions of the worst kind...

You would have thought that after going to the hospital on Tuesday, that I would have kept to my promise not to go back unless I thought it was absolutely necessary...no so much.
Since the baby had been transverse, Aaron and I had kept from doing..."you know" ...just in case it threw me into labor or something. It lead to false labor with Aloria, and I didn't want to go through that again. Anywho, since Justus had decided to move, we decided we were okay again. Three hours later, whilst making dinner (about 5:30pm), I noticed that I was having a lot of contractions...a lot of them. So, I put dinner on simmer, and told Aaron I needed to jump into a hot bath to see if that would settle things down. I was in there for probably 40 minutes, and my contractions were about three minutes apart and firm. Shoot! Oh well, I'll just go eat dinner and take it easy. Still there! Then my mom called, so I asked Aaron to keep an eye on Aloria for a while, and I talked with her for another 45 min. or so, while laying on the bed...still 3-5 minutes and strong...but not particularly painful. ...buuuut it had been 2 1/2 hours, so I called Marlene and told her what was going on so that she would have the heads up if I needed to call her to come over and watch Aloria. She gave me some reasonable advice to try and do some different activities to see if they would slow down or stop. Like, if I was resting and had them, go for a walk, if they were still there, try resting again...just to give them a chance to see if they were real or not. Well, it was 8:30 pm (had just put Aloria to bed), kind of chilly outside and a little muddy because it had rained, so I decided to walk around the house by doing some last minute cleaning and washing dishes to see if that activity helped. I also called Labor and Delivery to get their advice on settling things down. The nurse really wanted me to come in. I told her I thought I was just having the contractions do to earlier "activities," but she was concerned that the contractions were dialating me...and she still felt like three weeks early was something to be concerned about. Dang it! How do I get talked out of my own decisions not to do things?! Why? Because they make it sound like Justus could be in jeapardy, and of course, I'm going to do what they say. Stupid phone call. So, Aaron and I arrive at the hospital about 9:30 pm (still 3 minutes apart), I was shown to a room, and began the appropriate routine. ...which if you don't know, is to give a pee sample, change into a gown, get strapped up to two monitors, and wait for them to come invade your personal space with their latex gloved hands.
Needless to say, though she agreed that my contractions were stong, they had slowed down (as if they knew I was at the hospital and they were waiting until just then to stop), so she said it was no big deal and I could go home. Ahhhhhhhh! I knew that was going to happen, why did I go in, in the first place?!
Marlene said that with both of her first two boys that she had false alarms three weeks early, and then another a week later, so they just broke her water and let her go into labor since she kept having to come in. With her third, she said that she refused to go in to the hospital unless something was actually happening. By the time she got there, she was dialated to a six! Hmmmm... I think there must be a happy medium somewhere in there that I can stick to. I'm so jealous of Molly being so close to her due date! Do your thing girl!...and hopefully, I won't be too far behind.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your second trip to the hospital:-( I had those dumb contractions that didn't do anything for 24 hours before I was considered in "real" labor with Maddox. Maybe he's going to come soon?