Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pose for daddy!

The three of us :-)
May 17, 2008

It's been really crazy around here preparing for Aaron's graduation and for my parents and best friend to come into town that I didn't take time out to blog about my last Dr. visit. This wouldn't be a big deal, except that I actually had something interesting to blog!

Last week, the Doc said that Justus was transverse (sideways)...which accounted for the amount of discomfort I was feeling with my faky contractions. The solution to this problem, sincy you can't deliver a sideways baby, is to do a transversion. Which, basically, is to push on my stomach really hard and move him by hand from the outside...whiiiich, I heard is fairly painful/uncomfortable. He would have tried it that day, except that I was only 35 weeks, and he wanted to wait until I was officially 36 weeks (far enough along to deliver) before doing the transversion. Evidently, turning the baby like that can throw you into labor by spurring on contractions, accidently breaking your water, or put the baby in distress depending on its cord position...and so it would have to be done in the hospital just in case.
Truthfully, I wasn't really worried even if I did got into labor. I'm sort of done being pregnant, as far as I'm concerned, and although I don't want to have a c-section, it wouldn't be the end of the world. ...plus, I a friend from church had to have her baby moved three times because it kept moving back...and who wants that!
So, my Dr. advice to me during that visit was to relax and not do much of anything (since I have been having so many braxton hicks), and he didn't want me to go into labor before I was 36 weeks.
Okay, so here is what has happened since then...
#1 My parents and best friend were coming into town to stay with us for Aaron's graduation, so I didn't really have time to rest, like I should have. They helped out around the house and with Aloria, but it's still hard to just sit around when there are things you want to get done.
#2 My hands and feet decided that it was a good time to swell up on a regular basis, so as to make things like walking and wearing my wedding ring painful. Remedies for this...flip flops suck when your feet are swollen, wear good running or walking shoes with socks so as to keep good foot support (worked wonders for me), and buy a really gawdy $9 ring replacement until after the baby is born!
#3 I made it till Tuesday (day before my appointment and day after my parents left) and then decided to have a crisis. I took Aloria to the park and we went down the slide together. I was dry at the top, but wet to my underwear when I got to the bottom. My first thought was that perhaps I sat in a puddle. So I looked around at the equipment and nothing else seemed wet. It was 83 degrees and surely if it had rained (which it hadn't) or the sprinklers came on (which someone said they did) there would be signs of it. ...I looked again!!! Nothing else was wet...just me! Shoot!!!!!!!! I promised myself that I would not go into the hospital unless I was sure that I was going to deliver! Dang it!!! ...but there I was, not able to tell whether or not my water had broken or if I had sat in a puddle. I felt so foolish, but knowing that Justus was tranverse and could be in real distress if I didn't find out, made me go in to Labor and Delivery to get checked (as was recommended by the Doc's nurse when I called). Sooooo, I had an invasive test and laid around board in a hospital bed with moniters hooked up to my stomach to record his heart beat and the frequency of my contractions (which I wasn't really having any ...for once). Survey saaaaayyys: I sat in a puddle!
This is the kind of mistake you make on your first baby, surely not your second. :-) Really, the whole thing makes for a funny story.
#4 The next day, I went in for my regular weekly check-up ...only I was to have an ultrsound and get the baby turned.
Here's the really great thing! The previous day at the hospital, they told me that Justus was still sideways, and it felt that way even in the waiting room...but sitting on the end of the bed waiting for the Dr. to come in, I prayed that the Lord would turn him if it was His will to keep him as safe as possible. Robbins came in and helped me lie on my back where I proceeded to have a fairly decent contraction. He started the ultrsound...and he was head down! Praise God!!!
So, Dr. Robbins said that I didn't need the transversion after all and then printed out a picture of Justus' testicles to show Aaron :-), which I thought was funny.
So, that was yesterday...and I have had a million different emotions to sort through from that week. Fear was never one of them, but I think that I got so used to the fact that Justus could come early that I was getting really used to that idea. I've been so anxious to be done with this whole thing lately that I wasn't really thinking of how important it was for him to stay inside me for as long as possible (36 weeks being okay or not...40 is better). Now, that everything is okay...I realize I still have 3 1/2 more weeks, and it seems like an eternity more now then ever....and was really the thrust of my prayer.
I asked God to turn the baby inspite of whatever I thought I wanted!
...to turn him, if that was what was best.
I am so happy that He works inspite of us...and that He reaches His mighty hand down to care for the small and the helpless...Justus too :-)
As for now, sunrise, sunset...we'll get there when we get there.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Justin Bodeutsch said...

crazy! dahlia was the wrong way right before i delivered. i didnt realize that they would take such a huge approach to that. i wouldnt want someone pushing on my stomach, i hated that part when i went to the post partum checkups!!! we will be praying for your whole delivery starting now.

Emily said...

I'm so glad that they didn't need to turn him, Praise the LORD! My friend just had that done (her little girl is breach) and it didn't work and she was in really bad pain for like 3 days afterwards. She's having a c-section on Thursday.

I'll have to remember the puddle thing :-)